Monday, February 13, 2017

A Little Honey...For a NOT-So-Little Kid!

So....some firsts!  My first time using Hedgehog Fibers (FB page), first time knitting a fingering weight sweater for Camden and possibly my first time knitting an Amy Miller pattern!

Basically, I'm saying this sweater is awesome!

Seriously, I WISH y'all could see this sweater in person!  It's not my first time using either Voolenvine Yarn (FB page) or Gnome Acres (FB page), but those are naturally also still glorious.  The Little Honey is glorious and soft - and I would love to steal it for my very own :O  The Voolenvine was in the Nevermore colorway, and I actually used some of the Violet from my Bon Bon Bunny Gnome Acres Doppelganger set.

This sweater was NOT a planned knitting project for the new year...yet here we all are.  I decided I wanted to take some chances - and throw a wrench into my planning for the winter - by joining the Honey KAL in the This Old Knit and Yarngasm Ravelry groups.  I figured I HAD to have two skeins of fingering weight yarn that would go well together...and I did!  Yay for me!  I was doubly excited because I hadn't yet knit with one of my several skeins of Hedgehog Fibres, so, it all worked out well.

I naturally encountered some problems when starting out...why wouldn't I???  I thought I totally had gauge on one needle size, but it turned out, a few good inches in that it was all a LIE and that I was knitting too tightly...which was fine, so, I bumped up what I THOUGHT was a needle size or two - but what was REALLY a size 4.  I have no idea how that happened, but I kept questioning why my fabric was so loose, LOL.  It turned out there was a reason.  Ugh.  So, I moved back down a needle size, but then I also remembered that I'd planned on casting on for the size 4/5, rather than the 6/7, because of the positive ease...and apparently, I forgot.  So, I knit along on the size 6/7, thinking it'd be way too large...and it actually fits super well - yay once again!  She definitely has some room to grow, length-wise, so, I hope it continues to fit well in the shoulders when it fits better in length.  My project page is here.

I was worried, too, that I'd run out of yarn, which is why I used the Gnome Acres in the collar and cuffs.  I partly did the cuffs, too, when I realized it'd look cooler if I knit them in it turned out I had enough yarn, after all, between the other two skeins.
Awww, she came in at the camera, and I liked the result, LOL
The pattern is well-written and simple, though I do wish it had short row shaping at the neck.  I clearly could have tried to work that in, but eh....effort.  You can see I totally skipped out on knitting the pockets, because I knew they wouldn't be used, per se, and I didn't want any heavy things inside the pockets, weighing the sweater down.  And, well...yarn worries, aha!
A pose she needed to do, apparently ;)
Anyway, snafus aside, it's lovely, and I'm glad I'm DONE.  I put pressure on myself to knit this semi-quickly, and my hands are broken souls.  Camden loves, it, though, which is awesome!

And....days in the life.....
As a homeschooling mom, I have NO idea what I'm doing
Their little role-playing people
I spend $6 at Joann Fabrics for quickie activities!
Aww, a Berenice and Camden's old Owlet, passed on!
Mad skillzzz with Valentines!

This kid NEEDED a cut!
Adding embroidery to his sword jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment