Sunday, July 12, 2015

Knitting Toys: Never Say Never (A Bonbon Bunny!)


Let's be honest.....I'm just more of a practical knitter, in terms of what I choose to knit (clearly NOT in terms of yarn choices that are more expensive, etc....LOL) - I like to knit items I know are meant to keep my children warm.  Sweaters, cowls, hats and socks fit the bill.  Am I the wise knitter who only knits one sweater each per year for my children?  Well, no.  Let's not go THAT far.

But...a TOY????


I used to say I didn't like "knitty things"....and here we all are.  I also said I didn't want to knit toys.  I mean, who has time for that?!  There are too many other things to knit - and SEW.  Then I saw the Bonbon bunny by Susan Claudino (her site is No Knit Sherlock).  OMG.  I die of cuteness overload, if I'm being real.



I knew I wanted this for my daughter....THEN I thought to myself, "Gosh, don't all her COUSINS need these, too?!"  So....I guess one could say, "Here we go....."  So far, I have only managed to squeeze in Camden's, though I have great plans for using stash yarn for one for Tiberius, Camden's friends and then possibly her cousins.  Whew.

It is honestly a super fast project.  It did take me two months - but only because I didn't have on hand any wool with which to stuff the sucker.  I know most people use poly-fil, but I clearly want to veer from polyester, wherever and whenever I can, so, I found a bump/bat/roving/squishy bit somewhere in Portland.  I need to find them again when i run out :O.  This made me super happy, of course!!!  It should be enough for several small toys.

Susan is a detailed, clear pattern writer, and I had no questions about the pattern at all (weird, right??!!  LOL).  It is designed for worsted weight yarn, but I used Gnome Acres fingering weight House Gnome yarn in the colorway Little Bunny Foo Foo.  (I had, by the way, tried to knit both a hat and a sock out of this yarn, to no avail, so, this was the best project for it.)


It turned out pretty cute, for my first toy, though there is a bit of wool fuzz peeking out.  I did buy 9 mm and 12 mm eyes from the shop 6060 on Etsy, and I should have used the 9 mm, just because the backs on the 12 mm are awkwardly big on the inside of the head, so, I couldn't get the stuffing to fill it out nicely - poor thing looks a big awkward ;)  Ah, well, as he is cute, anyway.  Well, I say he is a boy, but Camden says her bunny is a girl.  Last night, the bunny's name was Colorful Bunny, but now, her name is Knuffle Bunny - after the Knuffle Bunny books by Mo Willems (who is AWESOME, by the way!).


That's that, folks....don't think you won't see more of these ;)

Also, we got up to some nonsense, as always....
Salt, glue and watercolors

His favorite place

Yes, that's right....Theeeee Cpt. Smith - of Titanic fame/not-fame

Homemade play dough...using my garlic press :O

No comments:

Post a Comment