Monday, April 6, 2015

Last Minute...And On Time!!! Disco Dress for Easter!!


So.  I don't know if y'all ever get a chance to craft with friends, but it is a NICE thing.  It'd been a long time since I'd been able to do such a thing with anyone, and I had just that chance the day before Easter.  Lisa, over at Irons in the Fire, suggested we have a sewing day at her place, and THANK goodness!  It is a bit easier (LOL) to sew without my children around.  Just a bit ;)


Now....we will NOT talk about how I forgot tracing paper and pattern directions - and decided NOT to bring the serger, when, in fact, it may have been a good idea.  Anyway, I did accomplish a bit - and in the end, with tracing paper in hand (thanks to Matt for dropping it off!), I was convinced by Lisa to  sew up the Disco Dress by Ainslee Fox for Camden - to match Elora on Easter!  I wasn't sure I had enough stash fabric at home, but prepare, I did.  And low and behold, when I arrived home, I searched frantically, turning down idea after idea as I came across various gorgeous stash fabrics.  Finally, though, I came across enough yardage from a past project (Apple Picking dress of January 2014) - yay!  The red is NOT a linen, I swear, but it's something I grabbed at Bolt sometime in the last year or two.  I was pleased I had that in my stash, as I like that the dress isn't solely quilting cotton.  The yoke fabric gives the dress a nice textured section.

Obviously, this was a quick project...which....whew!  I had traced it before I arrived home, and I essentially put in three hours Saturday night.  Sunday, before noon, I managed to sew the belt, the four buttons and hand-sew the lining of the bodice.  I have to say I'm pretty proud, aha!  I felt like I was being challenged.

The pattern itself is super easy.  The pattern designer, Jen, is pretty chatty in that she throws in humor/dialogue that isn't necessary to the pattern.  I normally don't care for that sort of thing, but she does it in a way that works, honestly.

It's a simple pattern, as you can tell, and I only had one real issue.  There is a better way of attaching the bodice to the "yoke" - in that a full bodice piece shouldn't be cut out, as you CUT AWAY what is underneath that yoke area...so, it's fabric waste, but I tried to get over it, LOL.  Otherwise, it's a lovely pattern with detailed instructions, etc.  I'm not sure why the belt is supposed to be so long, and you can't tell Camden's is, but I have it tucked away in the pictures.  I could cut it down at some point, but we'll see if I get around to it.  Also, there is a zipper option, but I happily had buttons on hand - for ONCE, right??!

The ONLY emergency was in thinking I didn't have to hit up the craft store for D-rings for the belt....Fatal mistake when you are trying to make a dress FOR Easter....the night before Easter....and stores are not open ON Easter.  Except Home Depot!  Matt did a great job finding what I needed.

We all had a delightful Easter dinner and playtime over at Lisa's house, and I have pictures to prove it, LOL.
Scampering off to find eggs!
Thanks to Lisa and Garth for taking care of eggs!
Taken with my phone....
Taken with Lisa's camera....OMG at that face on Tiberius!

Lastly....Camden wanted to show off some of her ballet moves, I believe....aha!


The ballerina hopeful??


Arabesque with an assist??

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you so much for sharing your cutie in her Disco Dress xJen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, lady!!! this is STILL one of her fave dresses!

      Delete