This is me: Let's buy that yard of white fabric I have needed for over a year so that I can finally get down to business on Camden's Broken Herringbone quilt.
Also me that same night: Wow! Thank goodness I happen to now have a yard of white fabric so that I can ALL OF A SUDDEN whip up a quilt for Elissa (of The Rarest Bird!!!), my friend!
My second quilt is officially a gift. I surprised her with it yesterday, and I'm so glad she loves it! I don't recall if blood, sweat and tears were involved in the making of it, but wasted fabric, rust stains and cussing were!
I figured it would at least be easy enough to use the Audrey Hepburn panels she had given me - turn them into a basic rectangles quilt. I sashed each panel, having to rip out when I misplaced the wider vs. the narrower strips of white, and then I had to figure out where I wanted the mini panels to go, and I went with the sides of the quilt so that I wouldn't end up with a crazy long and narrow quilt. In doing that, I also had to rip out and then buy more white fabric, but the math wasn't too awful, aha.
The only other near-fatal accidents with this quilt involved not making the backing quite enough. It was wider than the top by about 6 inches, but it BARELY met the length of the top, and that was a bit scary, as I kept moving the top around to match the backing underneath the batting, not wanting to warp the top, clearly, but wanting to stretch it as far as I could.
Lastly, when I ironing, I knew I was temping the fates because when there is water/steam involved with an iron, it sometimes lays down a rust mark, but I REALLY wanted to get out the pink pen marks (by the way, I love that pink pen, but it's a wash-out, not an iron-out; use Frixion pens in your quilting!!) without washing it. Anyway.... you see where this is headed. I lost my ever-loving mind and threw that quilt in the washer, knowing that the open seam where I had sewn the binding on would likely fray quite a bit in the wash.... and it DID. After washing and drying, I then had to go back and re-sew some of the binding where it had frayed too close to the seam line. That wasn't awesome, to be honest.
|The only really flat photo of the front|
And so.... days in the life of!
|She has a thing about cleaning threads out of chair wheels....|
|Birthday posters for Meagan!|
|Finally starting to hang our art from The Rarest Bird!|
|Helping make Vegan Snickers Pie!|
|For cousin Helen!|
|Second day this week of their camps!|
|Tiberius wanted an army helmet, of course|
|I just keep making MORE bags!|