Thursday, January 14, 2016

Two for One - Sewing AND Knitting. A Dapper Little Guy

I'm CRAZY excited about this lovely combo!  LIKE.  You don't even KNOW.

Seriously, the cuteness explodes...and no bias here at ALL, of course.  As always, in such a situation with my little guy, I wish I could have some crazy awesome photos, but hey - it took me one MILLION shots to get the few half-normal ones I'm using in this post ;)
The saddest baby - EVER.  He wants me to pick him up, of course.

Technically speaking, four designers are included in this post - give it up!  We shall start with the sewing, though.  I DID start the sweater first, I think...???  But I finished the pants and top first, as both were ready for Christmas, which I was happy about.

The Treasure Pocket Pants come from the Sewing for Boys book by Shelly Figueroa (of Figgy's Patterns fame) and Karen LePage (of One Girl Circus), and I confess that I have always loved this pattern, from the first moment I saw and made them.  The first time I ever made them was for Camden, years ago (like she's been on this earth for SOOOO long, aha!), and I actually took a wee class WITH Shelly, and she is awesome, of COURSE.
2012....Not the FIRST pair, I believe, but the 2nd pair (and a too-small O and S Class Picnic Shirt)
The pattern always goes together quickly, and there is one piece of errata, which has to do with a pocket piece, and I just have that printed out and have traced it, no biggie!  (Here is the link to that.) One other thing I do, though, is to NOT use the pattern piece for the hem lining on the leg.  I have found that I never get the right sizing when I use the piece, so, I just measure it out - which is how the waistband is done, too, anyway.  Anyway, rock and roll - love them so much!  Though now that I remember AGAIN, I have yet to close the waistband from where I slipped in the elastic, aha!  Oops.

On the street corner, waiting for we do

For the Sketchbook Shirt by Oliver and S, I used the same robot fabric (which I'd actually purchased a couple-few years ago for Camden but hadn't yet gotten a chance to use), and on the inside, I used a green voile for the back facing.  I realize the fabric is a bit heavy for things like narrow hems, but I couldn't help myself.  Also, don't get me STARTED about that top buttonhole.  A certain sewing machine almost got thrown through a, per usual, the top buttonhole looks ugly, as I had to fudge it, manual style.  (Next time, I'll remember to do that buttonhole before I finish the collar, etc.)  I'm super happy about the shirt, though, and I adore seeing it on Tiberius.  This IS his first sewn outfit, after all ;)  The pattern itself was great, and I had no issues with it and love the final product....though I DID lengthen the shirt and sleeves.
Just some cheap Joann Fabrics buttons

I purchased the yarn for the Carabe Kid (by Justyna Lorkowska of Lete's Knits - group on Ravelry and FB page) many months ago from Marigoldjen (HER Ravelry group and FB page).  I love Jenny's yarn, and she nicely dyed this combo for me, at my request.  The yarn is quite lovely, though I do realize I should have asked for a more variegated yarn (MY project page), in terms of not so much of the navy in the striped sections.  That's totally on me, but ah, well.  Such is life, and it's still cute!  This was the first time I'd knit this pattern, and it is totally well-written, of course, and I knit the size 2.  I didn't really change anything up, length-wise, which is out of the norm for me, but I thought I'd go with it.  It might be a whole few rows longer than the inch-amount called for.  It is definitely big/wide in the shoulder area, but whatevs, I suppose.  He's just a little guy!  I DO hope it fits nicely through part of the fall of this year.  A couple neat things I did - the pattern doesn't call for it, but I did the tubular bind-off on the hem and sleeves...which looks nice and which I did (well, THAT or the sewn bind-off, aha!) on my Homegrown sweater.  And the pattern DOES call for an i-cord bind-off around the collar/button band, and it does take a bit of time, I suppose, but it looks great!  I'm not sure it was stretchy enough through the collar, as it doesn't seem to be wide enough up there, but Tiberius isn't complaining.

Seriously!!!  These buttons!!!
I then decided to show off how lovely the contrast yarn is by knitting a matching hat - the Baby's First Hat, which is always a go-to pattern for me when I can't be bothered to think of something else, aha!  It was published through the Blue Sky Alpacas site, and I've knit it several times - changing the stitch count where appropriate, based on yarn weight.  I love how the colorway just swirls right up, and it fits him perfectly!  And when he's not busy trying to steal and don his sister's Cabernet hat, he'll stick this one on his head.
Working his funny face...which comes out oddly on camera ;)

And hold UP!  I naturally squeezed him into his wee socks I'd knit a few months back - just to finish off the look in an un-matchy sort of way ;)

And there you have it!  This WHOLE deal was part of the make2along run by the Jennie of the Tiny Paper Foxes podcast and Ravelry group....which, if you have NOT checked out her (and officially now Devon's, also!) podcast, you NEED to.

Lastly, some week-in-review photos:
Morning berries
Getting their water resist ON
A little guy!
Water resist results


  1. I love your boys sweet hat and sweater and pants!!! LOVE!!! you are one talented lady!

    1. awww, what a nice comment to come to, as i'm getting ready for the day! thanks, lady!!