I originally sewed up this jacket and skirt four score and last December. I'm pretty sure, anyway. YIKES. And you are correct - the skirt is a bit small. Ugh. I technically have enough fabric to make another, a size larger, if need be. And thank the lawd I lengthened the sleeves, I believe. Did I lengthen the skirt and the jacket itself? I can't recall, but I think so - and again, whew! It was SOLONGAGO.
I remember that the Sunday Brunch outfit was a bit of a pain, though - for TWO reasons. One....I added all the seam binding, and I wasn't sure I was even doing it correctly, so, totally judge my shoddy job. I recall watching a video later on how to do it nicely, but the video wasn't great. LOL. Anyway, I attempted for a pretty finish ;)
|Love the wrinkling?|
Need I say MORE???
You may not be able to tell in the photos, but EFF. If I'd thought ahead of time or known then what I know NOW, I would have added the buttonholes BEFORE sewing the top of the jacket to the bottom, if the construction allowed for it. I ended up needing to do the bottom two buttonholes manually, I believe, and it always looks awful when I do that. Anywho....it works, and I LOVE my buttons, which were upcycled or whatnot from Buttonhole Buttons (not a great site, btw). I believe I picked them up at Bolt in Portland, though I know Twisted also carries them.
|Look at those buttons!!|
Now....the BLOUSE. That was a whole other affair. Firstly, I knew I didn't want something that buttoned up the front. So. My first attempt was to turn the Fairy Tale dress into a blouse....which was a sad failure, as I didn't give enough wiggle room AT ALL. It was definitely a size too small, even after my careful planning. Super sad times, because I'd gotten some pretty, off-white voile. I wish I had a picture to show you. And it WAS sewn back in January or whenever. So....more timely.
Next attempt was in green voile....purchased a few months back - then finally ALMOST sewn up a few weeks ago. And...BAM! Shot down. I was trying to do a Japanese pattern out of this great book I have....And I thought I'd be okay in doing it, but I ruined any chances it might turn out - by cutting it OPEN. AHHH! I was trimming down the seam allowance at the neck. My bad. And I do have a horrid picture of that, LOL.
Then, when I KNEWFORSUREALLHOPEWASLOST, I realized I had some lovely blue shot cottong that basically matched the blue on the main fabric!!! Say WHAT?! So, out came the Puppet Show pattern by Oliver and S. I knew it was way too billowy, so, I brought it in 2 or 4 inches (can't recall) at EACH seam....and it's STILL too billowy. Ah, well. It works. And I could have shortened it another inch and a half, surely, but whatevs. I wanted it done by this point. I've had the whole outfit done for almost a month, and Camden wore it on Thanksgiving, but here I am, finally with photos, aha!
So, I had Camden race outside today to nab some quick photos. It's done, dudes, so, whatevs on quality of photos. I love the outfit and just wish I'd finished it eight million years ago. I will definitely plan better for Sunday Brunch, round two, aha!
|These faces kill me!|